My morning devotions have been chopped and changed so many times. Though I change my layouts and chants etc I don’t ever throw them away. Its more of an update that I do and they are great to refer to when writing about them or talking with other Pagans. I have 2 versions of a morning devotion. The more expansive ritual has the chant, a prayer maybe, meditation and a witchy sun salutation. I no longer view the sun as just male like Wiccans do, I view the sun and moon as made up of both male and female attributes and deities. For example, the sun is warm, loving and nourishing like a mother? Ever thought of that? The moon is stern, kind and insightful like a father.
Anyhoo, I have added the 42 Truths of Ma’at to my ritual, just before meditation, that way I can meditate on them and listen to the Gods. As for my short ‘gotta-go-soon-so-forgive-me!’ Devotion, I recite a chant of prayer with candles lit for the Gods and have my large gold candle to my patrons and matrons lit, sitting on my altar to Apollo. I do a quick meditation or breathing excercise, or I skip the meditation and do a witchy sun salutation. All is fun! I’ve added the truths here for your use.
From the Papyrus of Ani
1. I have not committed sin.
2. I have not committed robbery with violence.
3. I have not stolen.
4. I have not slain men and women.
5. I have not stolen grain.
6. I have not purloined offerings.
7. I have not stolen the property of the god.
8. I have not uttered lies.
9. I have not carried away food.
10. I have not uttered curses.
11. I have not committed adultery.
12. I have not lain with men.
13. I have made none to weep.
14. I have not eaten the heart [i.e I have not grieved uselessly, or felt remorse].
15. I have not attacked any man.
16. I am not a man of deceit.
17. I have not stolen cultivated land.
18. I have not been an eavesdropper.
19. I have slandered no man.
20. I have not been angry without just cause.
21. I have not debauched the wife of any man.
22. I have not polluted myself.
23. I have terrorised none.
24. I have not transgressed [the Law].
25. I have not been wroth.
26. I have not shut my ears to the words of truth.
27. I have not blasphemed.
28. I am not a man of violence.
29. I am not a stirrer up of strife (or a disturber of the peace).
30. I have not acted (or judged) with undue haste.
31. I have not pried into matters.
32. I have not multiplied my words in speaking.
33. I have wronged none, I have done no evil.
34. I have not worked witchcraft against the King (or blasphemed against the King).
35. I have never stopped [the flow of] water.
36. I have never raised my voice (spoken arrogantly, or in anger?).
37. I have not cursed (or blasphemed) God.
38. I have not acted with arrogance(?).
39. I have not stolen the bread of the gods.
40. I have not carried away the khenfu cakes from the Spirits of the dead.
41. I have not snatched away the bread of the child, nor treated with contempt the god of my city.
42. I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god.
BB x x